If you have been following this blog, you are well aware of our financial drama. And it's taking a toll on my emotions. One day I feel confident, the next day I am burdened and worried. Yesterday, I was feeling the latter.
I know that when I am feeling this way, I need to talk to my Savior. Only Him can calm my fears and give me peace. So I cried and I prayed.
But why I am struggling so much with the thought of losing our house. What am I holding on to really? Granted we've only missed one mortgage payment, but Ryan keeps throwing the "bankruptcy" word around. My worries are projected so far into the future.
Then God's answer to my emotional dilemma came this morning in 2 Pet 3:10-14.
But the day of the Lord will come like a thief.
The heavens will disappear with a roar;
the elements will be destroyed by fire,
and the earth and everything in it will be laid bare.
Since everything will be destroyed in this way,
what kind of people ought you to be?
You ought to live holy and godly lives
as you look forward to the day of God and speed its coming.
That day will bring about the destruction of the heavens by fire,
and the elements will melt in the heat.
But in keeping with his promise we are looking forward
to a new heaven and a new earth, the home of righteousness.
So then, dear friends,
since you are looking forward to this,
make every effort to be found spotless,
blameless and at peace with him.
The heavens will disappear with a roar;
the elements will be destroyed by fire,
and the earth and everything in it will be laid bare.
Since everything will be destroyed in this way,
what kind of people ought you to be?
You ought to live holy and godly lives
as you look forward to the day of God and speed its coming.
That day will bring about the destruction of the heavens by fire,
and the elements will melt in the heat.
But in keeping with his promise we are looking forward
to a new heaven and a new earth, the home of righteousness.
So then, dear friends,
since you are looking forward to this,
make every effort to be found spotless,
blameless and at peace with him.
There ... in those verses gave me the reality of my worries. The house that I am desperately holding on to will be destroyed ... so why stress about it. If I am trusting in God's plans for our lives (which can include losing this house), then I need to be at peace with that possibility.
My focus before that day comes should be to live holy and godly lives ... and fulfilling every aspect of His will. And one purpose that is right in front of my face is fulfilling the needs of my family. They are the ones that matter. My focus should be on them ... and they need my undivided attention.
Thank you Lord for this revelation in Your Word. You have given me much peace.
2 comments:
Joan..my heart aches to read your blog...I was so right there where you are a year ago!! Loosing our house was huge but the Lord showed me so much in that time and even now when I look at things he has built our family to be strong in him!! I will be praying for you and your family and all the emotions that come with it but know that no matter what you have Our Father in Heaven, your wonderful husband and your amazing kids! That is what holds me together as I face each day they are the breath I breathe! Bless you and you are doing great, by you being able to talk about it shows that you are trusting the Lord and letting others know how amazing God is!!
...I love the peace only he can give.
Thank you for sharing your struggles and reactions with such candor, and listening when He speak to you. Because through this He is speaking to us all.
Love you!
Post a Comment