Saturday, February 14, 2009

Expressions of Love

Why do we celebrate Valentine's Day? Where did this holiday originate from? I am not going to attempt to answer those questions because its origins remain a mystery - a legend with no real and definite answer.

I do know that Valentine's Day is a day to honor our loved-ones and show our affections - either through gifts or deeds. It's a day to demonstrate our love ... which led me to investigate. And I went to the most truthful source I know -- God's Word -- the Bible.

I have the NIV version and in the back is a reference section which lists words that appear in the Scriptures. I searched for the word "love" and I was astonished to find 241 references and an additional 39 references to the word "loved." Wow!

The greatest definition of love is found in 1 John 4:8 and 4:16 - God is love. I should look no further. Love comes from God because He IS love. And He showed His love for us by sending His one and only Son into the world so that we might live through Him (verse 9). This is by far the greatest expression of love -- sending His Son to die for a world that walked away from Him and denied Him. He loved us so much that He went to great lengths to restore our relationship with Him, even if it meant watching His Son die on the Cross. I cannot fathom that kind of love. I cannot fathom sending my own children to die for people that don't care about me. But then again, God expressed His love not to get love in return but to SHOW love for His people. We deserve death, but His love says we deserve a chance to live.

Love is also a command. We are commanded by God to love Him first with all our heart, our soul and our mind. And second, we are to love our neighbor as ourselves (Mat 22:37-39). If there is anything we are to accomplish in this world, it is to love God wholeheartedly ... and to love one another. In that order. Unfortunately, with our fallen nature, we tend to love ourselves first. To love God and to love others must therefore become a constant effort -- to daily go against our natural desire to seek things for our own benefit. In thoughts, in words and in deeds ... we are to demonstrate God's love.

So this Valentine's Day should also be a time to reflect on our expressions of love ... not just towards our loved-ones but also towards God our Father. Am I honoring Him? Seeking Him? Am I approaching His throne room with praises and thanksgiving?

Lord, the earth is full of Your unfailing love. May I take notice of the many blessings and beauty that surround me. I pray that I may show my love for You by my obedience to Your Word and Your will for my life.

1 comment:

MommyDesiree said...

OH Joan, your faith inspires me. I'm so glad you are my sister, and we are our Daddies girls.