Sunday, January 13, 2013

Day 1: Be awakened!

In this life, there are two ways to live according to Psalm 1.  The way of the righteous or the way of the wicked.  We can walk in the way of the righteous and be blessed, or walk in the way of the wicked and perish.

Who doesn't want to be blessed? And who in their right mind wants to perish?  The choice seems simple enough.  And that's where most people are tripped up - in the simplicity of the calling.

To be righteous doesn't mean perfection.  It means delighting in the law of the Lord and meditating on them day and night (Psalm 1:2).  If we want to know specifically how to live in the way of the righteous - to have a guide book in this journey called life, there's only one place to look -- His Word.  And as we discover and follow His ways, we will be blessed, and in all that we do, we will prosper.

The question then becomes ... is my delight in the law of the Lord or is my delight in the offerings of this world? 

As I search my heart at this very moment, I am not confident that I am walking entirely in the ways of the righteous.  I have allowed the offerings of this world to distract me.  Less time in the Word.  Less time in prayer.  Less time in communion with God.  I feel like I have been asleep.

But I choose not to dwell here.  Choose not to stay asleep. I long for that fire to be ignited again.  To be awakened.  But I do have to remember this:
The tendency of fire is to go out; watch the fire on the altar of your heart.  Anyone who has tended a fireplace fire knows that it needs to be stirred up occasionally. - William Booth

I can no longer be complacent with my walk with the Lord.  It is a daily walk -- choosing to stay awake in Him.

Lord, forgive me for falling asleep.  Help me to stir up the fires in my heart for You.  Use these next 21 days to speak to my heart.  May my heart stay ablaze for all that You have for me in my lifetime. 

No comments: