Saturday, January 19, 2013

Day 7: Focusing on God's Goodness

I am a perfectionist at heart.  I can get bogged down with the details.  Rules matter to me.  And these attributes easily spill over into my life as a Christ-follower.

Attributes that may seem harmless and insignificant.  It may even seem useful and important.  Going to church.  Reading your Bible.  Prayer.  Bible studies.  Ministries.  Serving. Those are all good things. Right?

Not if they become a source of pride or condemnation.  Yes!  Because perfectionists thrive on tasks and performance.

But I forget that salvation is free! 

"For it is by grace we have been saved, through faith - and this is not from yourselves, it is a gift of God - not by works, so that no one can boast." (Ephesians 2:8-9)

Today's reading in our 21-day fasting points us to focus on God's goodness, rather than an inward focus on our own works and performance. 

"The way we love God more is by focusing on His love for us. You will live more holy on accident by focusing on the goodness of God than you will by focusing in all the 'thou shalts' and the 'thou shalt nots.'"  

Walking in grace.  

And we can see other people through the same filter of grace.  Our spouses.  Our children.  Our friends.

How incredibly freeing is that?  Knowing that God loves me because of who He is and not if I obey Him perfectly.  And that I can love others for who they are because God loves them.

Because of His goodness, we can live a life of peace and joy.  By believing and not achieving.  

No comments: